Eager to engage younger generations in museum work, the Volunteer Service offers students from all over the world the opportunity to work at the State Hermitage Museum. By offering this opportunity and involving foreign students in the museum’s affairs, the Service is able to provide help to different departments and employees of the Hermitage in a number of areas closely linked to foreign languages, such as:
- Assisting with the preparation and execution of events;
- Translating foreign texts into Russian;
- Editing and translating texts into foreign languages;
- Aiding with correspondence;
- Teaching foreign languages.
The Volunteer Service offers its assistance to the Hermitage’s Collection and Research Departments in the following fields:
- Participation in archaeological expeditions;
- Systemising and cataloguing objects in the State Hermitage Museum and the Staraya Derevnya Restoration and Storage Center;
- Restoring and processing objects for the production of exhibition catalogues and various books published by the Hermitage;
- Preparing exhibits for transportation and assisting during this process;
- Organising contemporary art exhibitions, including correspondence, document translations, and assembling and setting up the exhibitions;
- Conducting surveys at temporary exhibitions;
- Developing and running special charity events and other volunteer projects; creating contests and game programmes, festivals, and quests; designing leaflets and other informational material.